Monday 30 July 2012

Reading 5: Comments

I like the message of this article. Sometimes when teachers don't like students doing certain things, like using wikipedia as a source or using translators or whatever it may be, teachers will just say, don't do it, and then ignore the problem. I like that this author is urging teachers to accept that students are going to use translators even if you warn them not to, and that it is our job to show students who to best use translators. I use google translate often as a quick reference instead of online dictionaries because sometimes its faster to translate one or two words, but I do have enough knowledge of the languages to judge the validity of the translation. I think making online translators part of a project at the beginning of the year could be a great idea.

During my practicum I encouraged students to use online dictionaries, I showed my grade 11 and 12 the grammar check website, "lebonpatron.com" and I even suggested that they use google translate for certain checks. You can always tell when a student has written something in english and put it into the translator and not checked the outcome. Making your students aware of the pitfalls of online translators can be a great learning opportunity and will hopefully make for fewer incoherent projects and papers that you have to give back to the student for a second try. I would be interested in coming up with a very well thought out project and graphic organizer to help show students the pros and cons of online translators.

No comments:

Post a Comment